DIY : vent hood for the kitcheen

Vent hood for the kitchen

// ' );popup.document.close();">Click to zoom the imageI've made my own vent hood to cover the brand new cooker we have bought ... last year (Yes, it took me more than one year to rebuilt all the kitcheen).

Like for every project, starting with CAD design.

Click to zoom the image
Click to zoom the imageUnder view of the framework.

You can see in red a triangular stiffener. In fact there will be more than 20 of them regularly spaced.
And of course a nice moulding !

As the moulding is more than 2 meters wide, I couldn't find a way to make it in wood.

Finally, I decided to make it in "stucco", which is plaster build up directly in its final position. It's different from "staff" which is moulded in the workshop and once dried, cut and bonded on the walls and ceilings.

1. The framework

Click to zoom the imageFirst, I've made a framework in plywood :
  • 22mm thickness for the horizontal base and internal stiffener
  • 10mm thickness for the other parts
Click to zoom the imageClose view of the stiffeners which will also receive the plaster for the moulding.
Click to zoom the imageThe framework and its side panels
Click to zoom the imageClose view of the 250 screws  put here to ensure a good bonding of the plaster to the wood

2. Funny things start here...

Click to zoom the imagePreparing the plaster. The lifetime of each batch is about 5 minutes, so only small quantities can be prepared at a time.

Another key of the success is to wet the wood before putting plaster on it. The wood must be saturated in order not to "pump" the water from the plaster during the drying (which would  cause some cracking).
Click to zoom the imagePutting plaster with the right tools...
Click to zoom the imagePlaster alone is really very, very fragile. So, some centuries ago, people had already invented a composite material : this naturel fiber acts like the carbon or glass fiber, and the plaster is alike the matrix resin.
Click to zoom the imageBetween two passes, I scrape the plaster in excess with a tool.

This tool is the outline of the moulding cut by hand (I've no more access to any flatbed laser cutter) in a 1mm stainless steel sheet.

This sheet has been screwed on a wood as a usefull handgrip.
Click to zoom the imageAfter one the the first passes, one can see the latent shape of the moulding.
Click to zoom the imageHard work !
Click to zoom the imageHere one can see the two "rails" nailed on the base plate.

These rails are there to ensure a good positioning and sliding of the scrapper.
Click to zoom the imageThe hardest : to build the other side without breaking the edge of the first side...

In fact, I've not removed all the plaster in the angle where the two beams intersect. Then, I will "sandpaper" it when dry.
End of the game !
Now it's one O'clock in the night, I'm tired but satisfied and proud !


Copyright (C) 2005-2006 F. Dubrulle.Last update : Thursday, May 01, 2008